It is a new procedure which combines LASIK or PRK and corneal cross-linking. The aim of Xtra treatment is restoring strength to the cornea, increasing stability in visual outcomes and the accuracy of the refractive correction.
Xtra treatment has been shown to significantly improve post-refractive stability when compared to LASIK or PRK alone. This has been shown for both myopic and hyperopic refractive treatments.
The steps of the Xtra Procedure
- Creation of the LASIK flap (At PRK we do not create a flap but we remove the corneas epithelium )
- Excimer ablation
- Drops of riboflavin formulation carefully applied to the stromal bed for a few minutes
- The riboflavin is rinsed from the stroma using balanced salt solution
- The LASIK flap at lasik procedure is repositioned into place
- A UV source apply a dose of irradiation through the closed flap
- In the case of PRK a bandage lens is placed for few days after the end of the procedure.
Frequently Asked Questions for Lasik or PRK Extra
What is Riboflavin?
Riboflavin, also known as vitamin B2, is a vitamin found in food and used as a dietary supplement. Food sources include eggs, green vegetables, milk and other dairy product, meat, mushrooms, and almonds.
Riboflavin is non-toxic and is used as an additive in food and pharmaceuticals
What is Ultra-Violet A (UVA) Light?
UVA is one of the three types of invisible light rays given off by the sun (together with ultraviolet B and ultra-violet C) and is the weakest of the three.
Are there any safety concerns by using UVA light in the eye?
Exposure to UVA light during an Xtra procedure is comparable to, or even less than, the exposure of the eye to the UVA light in sunlight for a full day outdoors in the summer.
Is LASIK or PRK Xtra indicated for the treatment of keratoconus ?
It is not indicated when keratoconus is detected or when a preoperative evaluation indicates the possibility of ectasia development. In such cases, surface ablation with CXL is the preferred approach.
What are the advantages of Lasik Xtra over the conventional Lasik?
- Allows the treatment of patients with thinner corneas or higher powers
- Avoids the risk of post Lasik ectasia
- Halts the progress of thinning or change in curvature of one’s cornea as seen in Keratoconus
How long do the effects last?
Over a decade of results have shown that cross-linking appears to last for a long time and there is evidence that the strengthening effect will be permanent.